Using a mobile phone while driving
On the 1st March 2017 the fixed penalty for using a mobile phone while driving has increased to a £200 fine & 6 penalty points. If dealt with at court the fine is likely to be higher and there will potentially be costs and a victim surcharge to pay as well.
If you have been caught driving whilst using a handheld mobile phone or another device, please contact our specialist motoring lawyers on 0115 784 1588
There is an exception if the phone is being used to call the emergency services using 999 or 112, it is a genuine emergency situation and it is unsafe or impracticable to cease driving
What is a hand held mobile phone or hand held device?
- A device is deemed to be hand held if it is actually held or must be held at some point during the course of making or receiving a call or performing any other interactive communication function – including Satnavs
- An interactive communication function includes sending messages, pictures or providing access to the internet.
What are the likely penalties?
The likely penalties will depend on any aggravating or mitigating features making the offence more or less serious, any personal mitigation and whether or not you plead guilty to the offence.
What is the maximum penalty?
- A fine up to £1000 unless committed in a goods vehicle adapted to carry more than 8 passengers when it increases to £2500
- 6 penalty points or a discretionary disqualification.
When would I need help from a solicitor?
- If you have a defence
- If you are unsure whether the elements of the offence are made out
- If there are special reasons not to endorse your licence
- If you do not want to represent yourself in court
- If you wantpoints as opposed to a discretionary disqualification
- If you want a discretionary disqualification as opposed to points
- If you are at risk of apenalty points/totting disqualification.
Using a Mobile Phone While Driving – Further Information
Our expert motoring law solicitors regularly act for clients across the UK and can help advise you if you have been charged with using a mobile phone whilst driving. Contact our specialist motoring law team today on 0115 784 1588 or email firstname.lastname@example.org